Archive for October, 2013

7 days left, a prop short, and one resurrected

Tuesday, October 22nd, 2013

We are in the final stretch to Halloween. While most other haunters have had their displays up for days or weeks already we will be building, painting, and setting up until the last minute. I blame this on ambition creep, the urge to make it a little bit bigger, a little bit better each year. We have been doing this for 6 years now. We should have it figured out, finish on time or early, and not be rushed or panicked.

This is the prop I am not going to try and put out this year. I had to finish building all of the sets, make all of the other props, and handle the electrical work this year. I didn’t have enough time to make him to the level of detail that I wanted. If I had done that then all other other props would have to be lacking in detail for the time taken away from them. So I abandoned this prop for this year to add detail to all the other props and sets. He’ll be in the haunt next year for sure.

However I will be resurrecting this guy, our 3 axis skull. I made a trade for him in 2009 and he was featured in the final year of our Haunted Tiki Island theme.

This weekend we rented a U-Haul and brought all the sets that were built at my house and took them over to Simi Valley. We started painting the sets and leveling large set pieces to compensate for the incline of the driveway.

Patty and Kendra started painting the gallows.

 

Joe started painting coffins. Lots of coffins.

 

I started painting all the props that were built but not painted. Here are some of the signs with their final paint jobs.

 

 

 

Ten Days to Setup

Saturday, October 12th, 2013

There are only ten more days to finish making props before we have to set everything up.

This week Bill (my Dad in Law) and I finished the Gallows (redesigned after we finished so no pics), some coffins, and the tree to which witches would be tied to when burnt alive.

 

These trees are concrete form tubes that have been mached with cheap ground covering cloth ($7 a roll at biglots) and latex exterior paint. We added some limb stumps with pink foam. These will get a Great stuff rub down to give them some bumpiness then spay paint them flat black and a touch of grey dry brush for ashiness.

This is one of the coffins that will be half unearthed in the grave yard. One of 14 coffins in our haunt. Coffinriffic!

Today I built the Scabtree facade where you would enter the covered section of our haunt. This is the sketch and then the plywood facade.

1264872_563693170346434_989093827_o

 

I have been working on a lot of other props but I gotta keep something secret until Halloween so stayed tuned!